The Allure of MOSAIC
The Chicagoland area is home to many diverse communities and cultures, and with such a variety, it can be difficult to navigate. Thankfully, we have the Chicago Cultural Alliance (CCA) at our disposal. The Alliance helps to promote and support various cultural programs and initiatives throughout the Chicagoland area, with the ultimate goal of creating a more inclusive Chicago.
The History of the Alliance
The CCA itself was created back in 2006 by Dr. Alaka Wali and Dr. Rosa Cabrera. (The Alliance grew from the foundation of the Field Museum’s Cultural Connections Program.) Services and programming that the Alliance provides serve a variety of needs, such as helping to platform cultural exhibits and showcasing professional development opportunities.
The Alliance has several core values that they follow with vigor. They are listed below.
- First voice of Core Members and their communities is central to the Alliance’s operations and programs, leading to social change driven by community concerns and resources.
- Heritage is an asset not only to explain history, but also to address contemporary issues and to build leadership and innovation for the future.
- All programs are collaborative and cross-cultural, building greater impact than could be achieved by any one member or partner individually.
- The Alliance is an active community and not a loose network or a purely professional consortium.
- Engagement is not simply outreach; it is the co-development and creation of ideas, programs, and initiatives.
- Core Members contribute their professional and community expertise.
This list can be viewed from the ‘About’ page of the Alliance’s website.
Partners and Programs
The CCA has an extensive list of partners and companies, some of which can be seen below.
- Belmont Bank & Trust
- Bronzeville Historical Society
- Activating Heritage
- Inherit Chicago
- World Dumpling Fest
More information about these programs can be found on the Alliance’s website.
The MOSAIC Gala
The CCA is bringing back a popular event known only as the MOSAIC Gala, which is held every summer.
The MOSAIC Gala acts as a virtual walk-through of Chicago, emphasizing the communities that comprise the North, South, and West Sides. (One could say that it’s a “mosaic” of Chicago’s diversity.) These communities are represented through the many member organizations that are or aren’t a part of the Chicago Cultural Alliance; the audience in attendance is free to explore as many as they choose to!
The Gala acts as the virtual premiere of such an event, and Jacoby Cochran will be hosting. (Cochran himself hosts the news podcast City Cast Chicago). The scheduled date for the MOSAIC Gala is Tuesday, June 15th, 2021 at 6:00 pm, with a cultural cocktail hour at 5:30 pm.
This will be a brilliant event to attend to learn more about the wonderfully diverse cultures and communities that occupy the city of Chicago. (We here at Ethnic Events will be in attendance!)
With the MOSAIC Gala being an important and multilayered event, it’s important that some links be given for your benefit.
- To register either an event or a company: Chicago Cultural Alliance (z2systems.com)
- To help Ethnic Events’ fundraising efforts for MOSAIC: Chicago Cultural Alliance (z2systems.com)
- To find out more about Ethnic Events and what we do: Ethnic Events – Experience Culture Online and in Your City!